Hey everyone, long time no update! Finally got a weekend with a (relatively) light school load, so I'm hoping to catch up in posting my 365 photos over the next couple days. Lots of stuff happening lately and I'll get to that in a minute, but first I wanted to get this belated announcement out of the way...
I recently got a DD on my "January 3rd" photograph, the one of the Quart House Pub fire in Plattsmouth, NE! It was suggested by myraincheck
and featured by 1pen
. This is particularly meaningful to me, as had it not been for the 365 Project, I probably wouldn't have gone anywhere to shoot that day. But the project drove me and made me determined to capture something interesting, so when I saw the news story about the fire/frozen building, I packed my gear and headed out. Not really something I've done before, but I'm so glad I did. It's good to get out of your comfort zone every now and then
This announcement comes at a bit of an odd time, as just a couple days ago I came home from class to find out that one of the buildings in our dormitory complex was on fire. I already had my camera on me, so I got off the shuttle and ran to the scene as quickly as I could. Called 911 and snapped some of the earliest shots of the fire, as the fire department wasn't yet on the scene. It was an absolutely surreal thing to cover, but I'm glad I got the opportunity to do so. It's not very often that photojournalistic opportunities strike, so when they do, whether the situation is joyful or tragic, you have to make the most of it and shoot as much as you can. Here's one of the first frames I shot after running over to the building:
Third floor balconies of Building G fully engulfed. Started from a discarded cigarette on the 2nd floor balcony. The seemingly-innocuous toss of a cigarette butt led to the displacement of nearly 50 students, with many of them losing everything they had. One of those students was photographer and personal friend of mine Eric Anderson, who lost all of his camera gear, hard drives, and his laptop in the fire. Luckily, his insurance will cover a good part of the damage, but there's no replacing the photos that he had stored on his hard drive. Looking through his bedroom window and seeing his framed photos amongst the destruction was a painful thing to see.
Right through the window, you can see his backlit panorama of the Omaha skyline behind some charred beams. I feel terrible for everyone involved, especially the foreign exchange students in the building who lost all their possessions, but Scott Village seems to be handling the situation very well. They've relocated all the affected students into new rooms, and have replaced books, clothing, and are working to replace everything else. The day of the fire, the property manager rushed into the building and banged on doors to make sure everyone got out safe. I captured a frame of him coming out of the smoke.
The next morning, I re-visited the scene when students were salvaging their belongings. And who did I see but the property manager, helping a student carry a bin of their recovered items to their car. I don't know his name, but I'm hoping to get in contact with him because he seems like an awesome guy.
Anyway, that's all I've got for now! Have to get ready for a little gallery opening this evening (details on that later
) but I'll be actively uploading photos all weekend. And if you'd like to see the rest of my shots from the Scott Village dormitory fire, you can view the full Flickr set here: www.flickr.com/photos/37763559…
Enjoy the weekend, everyone!